Frequently Asked Questions
- Quality: Transcribers are tested before joining our team, and our Quality Control department utilizes a multi-layered proofing structure to ensure your transcripts are of the highest accuracy and quality possible.
- Experience: JSMT has been in business since 1994 and our transcribers and Quality Control team are experienced professionals. We have an extensive list of clients who can vouch for our work. Check out our testimonials!
- Security: Our company is U.S. based with a commitment to security. Your information is safe with us! We will sign a Non-Disclosure and can provide our own secure server for the transfer of your files. Client satisfaction and retention is our top priority! We pride ourselves on excellent communication and strive to build a strong relationship with our clients to ensure long-lasting collaboration.
- Snail mail for physical files such as cassette, thumb drive, CDs.
- File transfer through our encrypted SFTP website.
- Hightail is a popular file transfer cloud service. You can send and receive digital files, as well as create Spaces to collaborate.
- Dropbox is a cloud-based file hosting service with Basic (free), Plus, and Professional account options, and even Business pricing. You can share and store files, and collaborate with Dropbox.
- Create login credentials for JSMT through your company’s SharePoint or secure server. Some of our clients prefer this option, so that we can directly access the audio/video files they upload, and we can directly upload completed transcripts to their company’s business site.
Yes! We are a vetted Government-approved vendor. We utilize the highest level of encryption to protect your data via our secure website. Ask us for testimonials!
- SFTP and SSH data transfers
- 256 bit SSL Encryption for entire website
- Dedicated Firewalls
- Regular security and firmware updates
One of the attributes that JSMT is most proud of is our multi-layered Quality Control!
We employ transcribers who must pass a test to type for us. Their work quality is continually monitored throughout their time with JSMT. Our team is top-notch!
One thing to note, though. A transcript is only as good as the audio/video quality! If accuracy is very important to your project, please make sure your recordings are the best quality possible.
The most impactful issue relating to accuracy is the quality of the original audio. We offer audio improvement, but there are limits to its success if the background noise is loud or on the same frequency as a low volume speaker. Factors that affect and the steps you can take to insure accuracy, completeness and delivery time are:
- Noisy backgrounds – Make sure you are recording your subjects in a quiet environment. Remember that a microphone cannot filter out background voices and noise the way we can. If you have no choice, make sure the speaker or speakers are as close to the microphone as possible. Record a sound test before you begin so you know what you’re getting.
- Low speakers, mumblers and slurred speech – Make sure the microphone is as close as possible. Ask the participants to speak a little louder, if possible. Make sure the background noise is minimal. Again, record a test to make sure you’re able to hear and understand what they’re saying.
- Multiple voices – Any conversation or group discussion can get exciting and animated. It only takes two talking at the same time to render an important piece of information indiscernible. Remind your participants to speak one at a time or ask them to repeat their answer separately.
Yes! Please send us your Non-Disclosure Agreement and we will return it ASAP.
All new clients will receive a 20% off discount for their first project with us!
JSMT invoices are sent via email. You can choose payment from the following options:
- Snail-mail a physical check.
- Credit Card payment.
- Payment via PayPal.
Yes! We have a great team of transcribers ready to work! However, if your project is more than 10 hours of audio/video and requires a RUSH or 24-hour turnaround, we may need some time to organize to ensure your project requirements are met. For large projects, contact us via email or phone to discuss details. We are excited to work with you!
Yes. We offer Spanish translation and Spanish-to-Spanish transcription. Please follow this link to our Translation page.
We can transcribe any audio or video file type and convert your file to another format, if needed. We do prefer digital files, though, as they can be transferred immediately and easily.
- Consultation: $40 for up to half an hour. Additional time prorated by ¼ hour.
- Notification of, and/or consultation regarding, corrupt or unplayable files are included with transcription service.
- Editorial, manipulation and/or enhancement for sub-optimal audio (if viable): $40 for up to half hour of audio or video. $20 each additional half hour
- Projects with multiple interviews less than 15 minutes each will be given a project rate based on cumulative time.
- Audio and Video File Conversion from standard audio or video formats: included with transcription service.
- Additional charge for conversions from some proprietary file formats.
- Web audio or video: if a media file is not available to be downloaded we can record the session using the appropriate file type at $40 per hour of total running time.
- Excluding “ums”, “ahs”, stuttering, and Moderator interjections.
- Excluding fillers such as “like” and “you know” that are constantly repeated and part of poor speech pattern.
- Excluding false starts.
- Slang is corrected – “gonna” typed as “going to” and “wanna” typed as “want to”
- Excluding “ums”, “ahs”, and stuttering.
- Excluding Moderator “encouragement” interjections that are spoken only to urge the Respondent to continue speaking, such as “mm-hm, okay, right, I see,” and that continually interrupt the Respondent’s comments.
- Including slang, false starts, and all words
- Including [coughs], [laughs], [sighs] et cetera
- Including every utterance spoken, such as “ums”, “ahs”, and stuttering.
- Including all interjections.
- Including slang as spoken, false starts, and all words.
- Including [coughs], [laughs], [sighs] et cetera
|Time-stamps||Customizable Transcript Formatting||Five-minute transcription trials for new clients|
|STANDARD Turnaround time: 3+ business days||RUSH Turnaround time: 2 business days||24-HOUR|
Turnaround time: 1 business day
|SAME DAY Special Urgency Order* Contact us for details.|
|Business days are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST*** Files will not be delivered on U.S. holidays.|
- Files received after 5:00 p.m. EST will be “checked-in” at 8:00 a.m. the next business and delivered per your chosen turnaround above.
- SAME DAY order – contact us for details.
Before the project begins you should provide us with labeling instructions including any specific information you require for the document header. Unless otherwise noted, we will label the transcripts exactly as the recording is labeled.